Public Tours ($10 per person)
The Canyon Lake Gorge is open to the public for guided tours only. Each tour is lead by a volunteer certified Gorge Preservation Society Guide with assistance from trained Docents and GBRA Staff.
Absolutely no one under 7 years of age or not wearing appropriate footwear will be allowed in the Gorge.
Tours highlight the Power of Water theme with Goals that include increasing the visitor's understanding of the:
- Canyon Reservoir Project and Canyon Lake Gorge through the partnership efforts between the Guadalupe-Blanco River Authority, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the Gorge Preservation Society.
- Geology of Central Texas.
- Hydrogeology, especially the interconnectedness of groundwater and surface water.
- Interrelationship between humans and the physical environment.
- Process of biologic succession and an introduction to common plants and animals found in the natural communities of the Gorge.
- Appreciation and respect for the natural environment!
Public Tours are posted on this website quarterly (Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun. Jul-Sep, Oct-Dec).
Applicants will receive an e-mail paid confirmation automatically once tickets are purchased. One week prior to the Tour date, participants will receive a detailed e-mail reminder with relevant information, guidelines, directions, and their Guide/Docents' names and phone contact.
- Hiking through the Gorge can be physically demanding, and is not recommended for people with heart conditions, bad knees, ankles or in poor physical health.
- Public tours are available to ages 7 and up only.
- Good walking shoes and at least one bottle of water per person are required. There is no potable water in the Gorge.
- Participants are encouraged to bring a backpack so that their hands will be free.
- The tours automatically close when they become full at 23 participants.
- The tours automatically close 24 hours before the tour begins.
- Prepaid reservations are recommended to assure you a space.
- Tours last 3 hours.
- Restrooms are located at the top, half way on the tour and at the bottom of the Gorge.
- No pets, smoking, or rock/fossil collecting allowed in the Gorge.
- Tours will follow a designated route. Participants will not be allowed to wander.
- Everyone who enters the Gorge must sign a Liability Release Form prior to admittance.
- Groups with children should follow the adult chaperone to youth ratio requirements: Ages 7-10, one adult for every child, ages 11-15, one adult for every three children, and ages 16-20, one adult for every five youth.
- Most tours will begin at the GBRA property, 16029 South Access Rd. Between Hwy. 306 and FM 2673, take the South Access Rd.; the property is located at the bottom of the Gorge, below the Dam.
- Gate will be unlocked a half hour prior to the time of the tour; please arrive no later than 15 minutes prior to the tour start time to allow for sign-in and shuttling to tour start location.
- Individuals arriving after the agreed starting time will not receive a refund.
- Gate will be locked during and after your tour so please do not leave your car at the property after your tour.
- GPS coordinates N29 51.777 W098 11.228
- Questions - please call 830-964-5424, Monday - Friday, 8-5pm.