Public Tours ($10 per person)
The Canyon Lake Gorge is open to the public for guided tours only. Each tour is lead by a volunteer certified Gorge Preservation Society Guide with assistance from trained Docents.
Tours highlight the Power of Water theme with Goals that include increasing the visitor's understanding of the:
- Canyon Reservoir Project and Canyon Lake Gorge through the partnership efforts between the Guadalupe-Blanco River Authority, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the Gorge Preservation Society.
- Geology of Central Texas.
- Hydrogeology, especially the interconnectedness of groundwater and surface water.
- Interrelationship between humans and the physical environment.
- Process of biologic succession and an introduction to common plants and animals found in the natural communities of the Gorge.
- Appreciation and respect for the natural environment!
Public Tours are posted on this website quarterly (Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun. Jul-Sep, Oct-Dec).
Applicants will receive an e-mail paid confirmation automatically once tickets are purchased. One week prior to the Tour date, participants will receive a detailed e-mail reminder with relevant information, guidelines, directions, and their Guide/Docents' names and phone contact.
- Hiking through the Gorge can be physically demanding, and is not recommended for people with heart conditions, bad knees, ankles or in poor physical health.
- Public tours are available to ages 7 and up only.
- Good walking shoes and at least one bottle of water per person are required. There is no potable water in the Gorge.
- Participants are encouraged to bring a backpack so that their hands will be free.
- The tours automatically close when they become full at 23 participants.
- The tours automatically close 24 hours before the tour begins.
- Prepaid reservations are recommended to assure you a space.
- Tours last 3 hours.
- Restrooms are located at the top, half way on the tour and at the bottom of the Gorge.
- No pets, smoking, or rock/fossil collecting allowed in the Gorge.
- Tours will follow a designated route. Participants will not be allowed to wander.
- Everyone who enters the Gorge must sign a Liability Release Form prior to admittance.
- Groups with children should follow the adult chaperone to youth ratio requirements: Ages 7-10, one adult for every child, ages 11-15, one adult for every three children, and ages 16-20, one adult for every five youth.
- Most tours will begin at the GBRA property, 16029 South Access Rd. Between Hwy. 306 and FM 2673, take the South Access Rd.; the property is located at the bottom of the Gorge, below the Dam.
- Gate will be unlocked a half hour prior to the time of the tour; please arrive no later than 15 minutes prior to the tour start time to allow for sign-in and shuttling to tour start location.
- Individuals arriving after the agreed starting time will not receive a refund.
- Gate will be locked during and after your tour so please do not leave your car at the property after your tour.
- GPS coordinates N29 51.777 W098 11.228
- Questions - please call 830-964-5424, Monday - Friday, 9-5pm.